Tuesday, August 6, 2013

A little party never killed nobody

Recently my birthday and the submission date of my literature review coincided - what better excuse to throw a party? And what better kind of party is there than one through a hidden door in a back alley, drinking champagne while surrounded by the most charming, beautiful people? Taking a little bit of inspiration from the recent Gatsby movie and tempering it with the realisation that I did not own a mansion or have 200 friends, I sought out a perfect 1920's style speakeasy for a cocktail with close companions.


Of course I devoted 90% of my party-planning time to picking out the perfect outfit, and came up with this heavily beaded silk dress. The way it shimmered in the light was like nothing else!

  


What I Wore

Dress - Needle and Thread
Shoes - Melissa
Fur - Vintage

 


Shimmer and sparkles everywhere - I'd be remiss if I didn't cover my eyelashes in jewels too! These ones are from Illamasqua.


The door to the speakeasy - located down a fairly creepy alley next to a car park, it's one of Melbourne's best kept bar secrets.


The deliciousness within! An absinthe fountain to spike our own drinks with. I also had a wonderfully fragrant rosemary martini.

Although my next big deadline is in October, I think I'll have to start 'researching' new venues for my next soiree...

5 comments:

BaronessVonVintage said...

ooooh, love your dress...and your gilded makeup! How wonderful you found a secret speakeasy!

Andi B. Goode said...

Wowwwww! That dress is amazing. Oh and a very belated happy birthday! :D

Jessica Cangiano said...

Goodness gracious, do you look incredible! I really started feeling pulled towards the 1920s last summer with DH and I started watching, and instantly became firm fans of Boardwalk Empire, in terms of fashion, in a way I had never been before, and the Gatsby craze of the last year has only fueled that interest further. I won't be swapping my beloved 40s and 50s threads for 20s on a daily basis anytime soon, but I do have plans to try a 20s outfit of my own out one of these days, too (I just need a piece or two more before I'm happy with it/ready to try my hand at this decade on camera).

♥ Jessica

Tara said...

What a stunning post! You look just divine and the background looks so lush! I hope your birthday was wonderful!

Desiree said...

Very, very glamorous. Love it!

Post a Comment