Friday, June 22, 2012

The Tale of a Homing Bird Who Could Not Home

With so many bloggers posting photos of their chickens, I kinda wanted to share my own bird adventures. This is Sir Puffington: I found him one winter's day in my garage, just chilling on a tool rack. I wanted to close the garage door so tried to shoo him out - no go! Even when I lifted up the broom he was sitting on and carried him outside, he just flew back in as soon as we cleared the door! When he was flying about, I noticed a tag on his leg and it clicked that he was a homing pigeon. A very, very bad one at that!

 

I worried about him given the number of foxes and cats in our area, and it was getting dark and cold. I figured he was unable or unwilling to fly home, so the best thing to do would be to catch him, box him up with food and water and try to find his owners. Lucky for me, he was rather tame and tired, so he let me get quite close and didn't react quite fast enough when I reached out to grab him. When I knocked on the door to get my Dad's help, his only words were "You and your damn birds!" (I'm a little notorious for taking them in...)

While my dad grudgingly set up a nest for Sir Puffington in a laundry basket, the poor little guy dropped off to sleep in my hands. Although we found a phone number on his ankle, we could only contact an answering machine (it would be a couple of days before the owners called, during which time I of course envisioned a future where I could keep him and take him flying myself...)


I was sad to see him go, but I hope if he ever gets tired in the future and needs a pit stop he remembers the delicious crushed popcorn kernels and warm garage at my house!

5 comments:

Randi said...

I'm notorious for taking birds in as well! Sir Puffington is adorable, so good of you to take him in!

xStroutx said...

Awww. He was lucky he found your garage to rest in! Also, Sir Puffington is a GREAT name

Trina44 said...

I love your blog! Thanks for following mine, now I have to go through and see all your great outfits.

1950s Atomic Ranch House said...

Sweet! I've taken in a few birds too . .

Dunia Kelinci said...

lucky pigeon......

Post a Comment