Thursday, February 23, 2012

Attention Melbourne Readers: Free Swing Lessons!

Hi all! This post is aimed at readers in Melbourne and the surrounding suburbs who are interested in trying out swing dancing FOR FREESIES. :D Yes you read that right! The company I take classes with - Swing Patrol - has started a referral system where students can give their friends the chance to take three complimentary, hour long lessons. I immediately thought of you guys and grabbed a bunch -if you are interested, please email me at kibbleking (at) yahoo (dot) com (dot) au and give me an address I can mail the vouchers to. I'm happy to send multiples if you have a partner or gal pal you want to bring along. The class timetable can be viewed here: clicky!


(Fair disclosure - if you do use all three lessons, I get a free one too! But I'm really just interested in getting more people involved and potentially meeting some of you lovely readers!)

In my opinion Swing Patrol offer really great classes - they are fun, entertaining and the instructors are very adept at getting you talking (and dancing!) with the others members of the group so that there are no jitters when it comes to rotating partners. This sounded scary to me at first, but it is a great way to meet people and it means you learn to lead and follow with your body easily. Each class stands alone - it gives you the building blocks to each dance style, which you can then put together later at home or in the social dancing hour later.

The lessons cover styles from the 20s to the 40s (so yes, Lindy Hopping forms a big component). Currently we are learning a 1930s style Charleston, which is a lot more 'leany' and lower to the ground than the 20s style. I have never taken dance lessons in my life but by the end of each class I know a couple of flashy looking moves and how to sequence them together - I would never have guessed it could be so easy or fun!

Hopefully I will see some of you there!

0 comments:

Post a Comment