Sunday, October 23, 2011

Tutankhamen: Age of the Pharaohs

To celebrate my last week of freedom before starting full time work, friends and I made the trip to see an exhibition at Melbourne Museum - Tutankhamen: Age of the Pharaohs. Originally the plan was to dress 1920s style to pretend we were at a showing of the 'recently' discovered artifacts, but in the end it was too difficult to convince the whole group to play along and there was not enough time to shop a good outfit. In the end I went 1920s inspired top half, ridiculously shiny pants that I love on the bottom half!


Outfit Details

Jacket: Sportsgirl
Blouse: Target
Pants: ASOS
Shoes: ASOS
Bag: Target




I love the kimono-esque styling on this velvet jacket - made me think it would be perfect for a 20s style outfit. One of the things I love most about fashions from that era is how they were really drawing on other cultures for inspiration in jewellery and clothing. This was really apparent in the Tutankhamen exhibition, where I quite often found myself marveling at how similar the jewellery found in the tomb was to art deco designs!

As for the exhibition itself, loved the amount and variety of artifacts on display as well as the explanations of their religious and cultural significance, but was disappointed at the lack of probing into some of the controversies regarding Tutankhamen such as his mysterious death at 19 (and the assorted broken bones in his autopsy) as well as the suspicious circumstances around the discovery of the tomb by Carter. Despite those minor quibbles, I found it excellent and would urge anybody in Melbourne to see it before it closes!


Am also fond of my new pair of glasses - the circular shape is perfect for when I am wearing clothes that predate the cat eye style (as much as I love it, the anachronistic clash is too strong!)


While parking the car we stumbled across this chair by the train tracks! Somebody clearly decided their front garden wasn't big enough and expanded into the bushes across the road - I love how it is even bordered with bricks!

Tomorrow I start a new job and am super nervous - any kind words would be really appreciated! Tea is helping but not enough :/

PS Don't forget about my Revlon Fire and Ice giveaway! I just realized I didn't nominate a closing date - it is now updated to close on the 14th of November!

5 comments:

Dial V for Vintage said...

I wish you the best of luck with your new job! It's always so stressful to start somewhere new... I've been there too, but you'll see everything will turn out fine! Your jacket is divine! :)

Camelia Crinoline said...

That exhibition sounds wonderful. I love your new glasses. Have a lovely first day at your new job.

Mabel said...

That jacket is wonderful!!! Good luck with your new job :)

Mabel
Mabel Time

3hourspast.com said...

I love love love your outfit! Don't worry about other people being lame and not dressing up- you can always just dress up yourself...

Thanks for the overview of the exhibit. :)

For what it's worth, I really love anachronistic clash. I strive for it. It's delicious.

You'll do wonderfully well at your new job, don't worry! (sending you good vibes...):)

EmilyRose said...

Would you consider selling this Kimono? I have been searching for months!!! Cannot find one anywhere :(
Feel free to email me on emilyrose.03@hotmail.com
Thanks!

Post a Comment