Monday, August 16, 2010

The Wizard of Oz Barbies: 1960s Style

Mattel is having a lot of fun using its 'vintage' Barbie faces lately! I'm sure every man and his dog has heard about the Mad Men dolls, but these new ones popped up recently - The Wizard of Oz, 1960s style!


Click to enlarge and see the lovely details!

I do love the costumes - the poodle-skirt like natures of Dorothy's and the Wicked Witch's outfits (seriously, a flying monkey poodle-skirt? I kinda want one) and Glinda's dress looks as thought it was pulled out of a prom photo (in the best possible way).
I'm not sure how I feel about Dorothy and Glinda giving me the side-eye though! It's a perfect look for Elphaba (yes, I loved Wicked!) but I guess I just had a more wide-eyed, innocent look in mind for the others?
Seeing as Mattel is clearly on a vintage kick, any suggestions for other doll adaptations you'd like to see? I'd love to see a Hitchcock blondes collection - Tippi Hedren complete with birds for action mode, Kim Novak in both her forms from 'Vertigo', Grace Kelly in just about anything...

*edit* Apparently Mattel read my mind, there is already a Tippi Hedren doll!


"Shoo, I am mildly annoyed"

Now get working on the rest of my collection already!

6 comments:

Justice Pirate said...

hahahaha i can't believe they have a birds doll!!

Debi said...

Love your new blog layout! :-)

Riikka said...

Oh, these are all so cute! Me wants! Vertigo dolls, especially, would be made of AWESOME.

Lizzy said...

I love those barbies!! in fact I would like to collect all og them....just I need money hehehe

Andi B. Goode said...

Nnngh, those WoO dolls look amazing. I want them all! Hehe.
-Andi x

Doodles Mom said...

Absolutely love those barbies! I had no idea they had made those.... I have to find them for my Wizard of Oz collection.

Post a Comment