Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Help! Vintage Swimwear

My friends and I have planned a very last minute trip to Daylesford/Hepburn Springs - the spa capital of Victoria and the highest concentration of mineral springs in Australia! Being winter, I hadn't even begun to think of buying swimwear but it's become clear I'm going to need one, and fast!

The white bikini I had my eye on has sold out in my size :( so now I need to quickly find something else that's just as lovely and put an order on yesterday to make sure it arrives here in time! It needs to be something I can actually swim in (as I make regular beach holidays with my family) so I'm looking at reproduction/vintage inspired sites only.

My shortlist looks a little like this so far (but if you have suggestions for any other sites or styles I'd love to hear them!):


Bathing Beauty One Piece in Emmy from Modcloth

This kind of gold/mustard colour is really flattering on redheads... I just hope it will look nice on my pale skintone! If only there was a way to try it on over the net...


Zen Garden Two Piece from Modcloth


I have such a weakness for Japanese inspired prints!


Beach Blanket Bingo Two Piece from Modcloth


This one is super cute, but I already have a romper in exactly the same pattern and colourway, so it feels a little too much like doubling up for some reason! The black colourway is calling to me, however...



Red Retro Swimsuit from For Luna

So classic! But is the red too bright? Will it clash with my hair? My mother always told me that redheads can't wear red, which is a way of thinking I'm trying to deprogram myself from (but it is always in the back of my mind when I want to buy something red).


Black Retro Bikini from For Luna

This one is lovely, and I know for certain that black looks great on me (how very Melbournian I will be if I buy this! The in-joke here, for my overseas readers, is that black is the only colour worn in Melbourne, ever. I'll even take it to the beach!) It's just not as high waisted as the modcloth ones, and as I'm pretty insecure about my tummy that's a point against it... However, it's the same style as the white one I wanted so it is currently topping my list.

Other things I'm taking into consideration are Modcloth's more expensive shipping, and the fact that they don't give an estimate of the time it would take to send out my suit (if any Australian readers have experience with how long it takes their packages to arrive, please let me know!)

Please help me out by commenting below!

15 comments:

What-I-Found said...

Oooooh, I vote the first gold one...with the red close behind. I am no help with shipping times or what looks best on redheads, but I know what I like. ;-)

Ruby Rach said...

I love the For Luna red one-piece - stunning! I totally disagree with the rule that redheads can't wear red, but it does depend on the tone of red, I think.

Have you looked at the Esther Williams swimsuits on Unique Vintage? Hmm, can I put HTML in here? HERE ??? Did that work>?! I think Unique Vintage's postage is a little high though - it's been a while since I ordered from there.

Rebeccak said...

Hey I can't find a website for it - but Seafolly had some really cute vintage inspired things last season. I know some of the swimwear shops in Bondi (in Sydney) still have them - so maybe if you went down to St Kilda you might find them? Similar things to what you have pictured, with navy and white stripes/sailor details.

Miss Emmi said...

Ruby - Thanks for the link! They have the white one I originally wanted in stock but you're right about the shipping... $42!! Guess I'll have to pass on that! I love the red one piece, it just worries me that the red might be a little too bright for my colouring.

Rebeccak said...

Oh! And What Katie Did has swimwear - check them out: http://www.whatkatiedid.com They have pretty reasonable shipping and it is SO SOO quick. The last thing I ordered got to Sydney within the week.

harbourmaster said...

Emmi! Get some in Melbourne - it CAN be done! Scally&Trombone on Brunswick St stocks the Esther Williams range, the prints are pretty standard 'alternative' (cherries, leopard etc) but the shape is gorgeous, and Seafolly & Jets both have nice retro styles at the moment. Even, I kid you not, look at Speedo, I got a gorgeous 50's style black&white gingham one-piece from them over summer...

Justice Pirate said...

I love them all!!!!!!!!!!! personally I bought a skirted one from what katie did and posted it here if you'd like to see: http://tiedemanntribe.blogspot.com/2010/07/retro-bathing-suit-ta-boot.html

quietandsmalladventures said...

i have the black polka dot two-piece and i LOVE it (but i'm still lusting after the japanese print one!). i got mine at a local store so i could try it on and they were willing to order one for me if my size/color wasn't available....maybe call around in melbourne like harbourmaster said? or check the esther-williams.com site and check the amount of shipping time or find local stockists?

Stefanie Valentine said...

The red one! That's soo gorgeous, and yes redheads can wear red!
Loving your new layout too!

Miss Emmi said...

Thanks for your opinions, everyone! I ended up getting something that wasn't even on my list - the same style as the red one piece, but in black! I decided it was too risky ordering the red in case it was too bright for my skin tone.

Harbourmaster, I wish I had seen your comment earlier! My sister had a bunch of friends over and I conducted a quick poll amongst them on which to get. I'll definitely check that place out come summertime!

Justice Pirate said...

oh that is so sad that they don't have the suit any longer!! I didn't know. I'm very sorry. I too have scars on my upper front thighs (stretch marks from when I gave birth to my first son who was 10 pounds!) it is two pieces and the skirted piece covered my bum but I have a very flat one so I don't know how it would have been on other people's bums. I have stretch marks on my bum that I always cover too. . .which the suit did a great job doing. I hope you are able to find a suit like it!

esme and the lane way said...

Wow, fast! I was just about to suggest S&T, too, like Harbourmaster, but you already have one! Cool! I will now check out Seafolly and Jets etc... :)

Shirley said...

how can I buy the vintage red swimsuit? I cant seem to get into the buying site?
Shirley

Miss Emmi said...

Hi Shirley, sorry I must not have linked that one properly! The website is http://www.forluna.co.uk/

Hope that helps!

Sara Scally said...

You can buy Esther Williams at Kiss Me Too shop1/79 Great Ocean Rd Aireys Inlet Vic PH 52896169

Post a Comment