Friday, April 16, 2010

Liberty of London Haul

Those of you who are fans of Dress a Day or Gertie's Blog for Better Sewing have probably become just as enamored of Liberty of London's gorgeous designs as I have (it's hard not to fall in love when you see the fabric transformed into such amazing dresses in their extremely capable hands). I, however, am only a novice sewer and there is no way I want to risk butchering fabric that retails here for $45 a meter (not kidding). I can, however, play around with makeup with relatively little risk, so when MAC's new collection came out here I just had to pick up a few pieces :P


Not everybody likes the packaging, but I'm a fan - I especially love the bizarre looking bird on the lipstick tubes! I picked up the Bough Grey and Birds and Berries eyeshadows, and Ever Hip for a different coraly-ish/pink-ish/peach-ish/I-don't-know-how-to-describe-it lipstick. The teal eyeshadow is pretty much my favourite thing ever right now (as you can probably tell by the way I pack it on):


I was working on a class presentation last night so I didn't have time to pincurl my hair - this is the kind of style I attempt when my hair is in its natural state - it's just curly enough to get away with, but there isn't enough volume at the front for my liking. Luckily, I was having a Good Hair Day and my one, lonely victory roll actually turned out pretty well!


One of the class presentations was on the bias seen in photographs of people who are more emotionally expressive - they tend to present their left cheek to the camera, whereas people who are considered more rational and serious present their right cheek to the camera. I can't help thinking about it this evening as I upload photos and look at all your lovely blogs!








Outfit Details:

Dress - Thrifted
Velvet Blazer - Bardot
Shoes - Betts









(In case anybody is curious, my study was on what side people cradle their infants - about 70-80% of women cradle their baby with its head on their left side. True facts. Supposedly this is to better help the mother understand her child's needs, as the right hemisphere, which processes information from the left visual field, is specialized for the interpretation of emotion. I've been crazy busy trying to milk my friends and acquaintances for baby photos, so I haven't had a chance to do much thrifting or sewing lately. The moment I hand those suckers in, I'm going straight to Vinnies, followed by a long evening spent on etsy with a mug of hot chocolate.)

5 comments:

Una said...

Have fun! :) It's always sooo nice to relax and do some truly enjoyable things after all that hard work!

Maggi said...

I know I always cradled Toot on my left side. lol Adorable hairdo, love the makeup!

Viky said...

I love your style:)

Miri said...

I do the same with make-up! If its in pretty packaging I'm more likely to buy it =P

Great dress!

Mystique-Glamour

BaronessVonVintage said...

lovely hair and makeup look! Interesting study. I know I usually photograph with my right side towards camera, but only because I think it's my better side ;) hope you are having a lovely weekend!

Post a Comment