Sunday, March 21, 2010

Sugardoll Blog Award


I just received a lovely message from Brittany over at Va Voom Vintage - she's honoured me with a blog award! I have to list 5 random things about myself, so here goes:
  1. I'm not entirely opposed to modern fashion - however, my idea of what modern fashion should be is probably a little off compared to the reality. I had hoped that by now people would be dressing like Lady Gaga or extras from Blade Runner, and am severely disappointed every time insane trends like Armadillo shoes and pantslessness fail to take off. I don't necessarily want to participate, but I like to see people pushing the boundaries of fashion in different ways. Similarly, I adore seeing people from subcultures such as steampunk and lolita out and about - they are not afraid to be different and dress in a way that they love, even if nobody else does.
  2. I love the human brain, and I'm enthralled by everything about it - how it works, how it develops, how it malfunctions when damaged - and thus I hope to someday be a Clinical Neuropsychologist. I also combine this passion with my love of history - I dream of decorating my future office with antiquated medical implements and textbooks (in particular things related to pseudosciences like phrenology - I already have a fabulous reproduction ceramic head) and Victorian-era anatomical illustrations. In those times, science and art were still intertwined and this resulted in some very beautiful sculptures and drawings.
  3. I just got informed by the doctor that my horrible lip state is in fact due to Perioral Dermatitis, and I will need to throw away all my lipsticks because using them again may result in future breakouts. My pleas of "but...but...they are Chanel!" fell on deaf ears. I can't afford to replace them once my lips are healed (if they heal at all), so this is incredibly depressing news :(
  4. I collect graphic novels and manga. My favourite series are The Sandman by Neil Gaiman, Pet Shop of Horrors by Matsuri Akino, and Yotsubato by Kiyohiko Azumi. I also adore the artwork of Junko Mizuno, Suehiro Maruo and Shintaro Kago (a lot are NSFW/rather confronting, so be wary when googling).
  5. My guilty pleasure is trashy girl-power shows with terrible special effects from the 90s, such as Xena: Warrior Princess and Charmed. My sister and I buy a box set at the start of each year and work through all the seasons together. In fact, I think I might go watch some now.
I'd like to pass this award onto some of the best blogs I've discovered recently - a lot of them don't get the love that they deserve, so please go check these fabulous ladies out!
Ginger from Sailing Over a Cardboard Sea - once you get over the momentary pangs of jealousy over Ginger's luck in being allowed to raid a veritable Aladdin's cave of vintage clothing - see her posts on Mrs Bolton's house - it's easy to fall in love with her effortless style and collection of jaw-droppingly amazing finds.
Tami from My Moving Finger Writes - I've always wanted to dye my hair as white as hers, but never had the guts! Still, I can live vicariously through her in-depth hair tutorials as she plays with different styles and cuts. There's always something new to be learned from this blog.
HarbourMaster -Not only does this girl have fantastic style, but she runs her own label meaning that we can all get some of that nautical goodness! I especially love her vintage look swimsuits.
Charlotte from Tuppence Ha'penny - This lady has an enviable collection of hats (and I want her to teach me how to do such perfect victory rolls...)
Ruby Roulette Unravels - This darling lady needs a reminder that her blog is loved so that she doesn't quit the blogosphere! As an avid thrifter myself, I enjoy reading about her finds (and dreaming of someday getting so lucky myself!).

9 comments:

Ruby Roulette said...

Thank you very much! I'm always excited to find new fantastic blogs to follow so I'll be signing up to a few more from your list. Very sorry to hear about your lipstick situation, finding the perfect red lipstick is no easy task!

Francy said...

Congrats on the award! I just found your blog, and I really like it. I can't wait to see what you post next ;-)

pixiedrivein.blogspot.com

reilly said...

I object to Charmed being called trashy television! ;) I loved Charmed, Xena, and Buffy as a kid (and now, too).

Miss Emmi said...

Reilly: But it's trashy in the best sense of the word! XD I don't know how else to put it, not every show can be 'The Wire' nor would I want it to be. (Oooh, Buffy. Maybe that will be next...)

Ginger said...

Congrats to you and thank you so much for passing this award along!

Your blog is lovely and your five random things are very interesting. Nice to know someone else that is into vintage and is also a fan of Neil Gaiman and The Sandman series. Fantastic.

harbourmaster said...

Thankyou ever so Miss Emmi!

Stefanie Valentine said...

Congrats on your award! I wish that everyone dressed like Gaga, wouldn't that be awesome?
Your story about the Great Dane is so sweet! x

Kelly said...

Oh no! So sad you have to throw out your lipsticks! I wonder if you could just chop off the top bit and start using it from the middle? I bet there wouldn't be as many germs further down the tube, but it might be too risky even then.

Miss_Tami_Lee said...

Thank you for the award! It's my first teehee :)

And I feel your pain about the lipstick. I constantly get eye infections so that means goodbye to perfectly good make up :(

Post a Comment