Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Identity Crisis

Ladies, I am having an identity crisis! I'm enduring a forced separation from my beloved red lipstick, as my lips had an awful reaction to something a week or so ago and have swelled up to the nastiest trout pout I have ever seen.

Like this! But worse!

I've locked away my lippies because I'm trying to work out the cause of the reaction (not to mention how irritated my skin is already) but it's been so. damn. hard. to go without. When I look in the mirror, what I see is washed out and bleh, when previously I could feel glamorous in five seconds flat by merely swiping one of those magical tubes over my lips. It's amazing how much of a difference red lipstick makes to my self esteem - it's like an instant pick me up for my face (as I'm sure you all know!) Without it, I feel naked... I don't feel like myself anymore! I know this sounds extreme but when a part of your 'look' is forcibly changed (like suddenly getting glasses or braces - and I've been through both) it can be very difficult to even recognize yourself anymore.

I've been compensating with some fairly dramatic eye makeup, but it just isn't the same. If this doesn't end soon, you may see the advent of Swinging Sixties Emmi - all bold eyes and nude lips! And I ain't sure that's going to be a good thing! D:

Gah! Get better soon, me! I've only just found my groove, don't make me lose it now!

10 comments:

THE BIG MAMA INTROSPECTION said...

I empathize with your problem. A day without red lipstick it's like a day without sunshine

Brittany_Va-Voom Vintage said...

I know exactly how you feel! I'm a mascara girl and after trying lash blast mascara, it turned my lashes to plastic! They were hard and brittle and I had to go without eye makeup for about a week and a half so all of my lashes wouldn't fall out! I wanted to put conditioner in them or -something-! It was terrible!! I hope your lips get better soon!

Gingeyginge said...

I know how you feel,it's part of you!

harbourmaster said...

That sucks, hope it clears up soon! Maybe compensate with defined eyebrows and strong blush? Those are my 'naked without makeup' points...

Bucca said...

Oh no! that is awful I hope you figure it out soon!

Stefanie Valentine said...

That does not sound good at all, i hope the reaction stops soon. I too look a bit washed out without red lipstick, but as long as i have a bit of colour on my face i'm usually ok! xx

Andi B. Goode said...

Oh gosh, that's horrible. I hate not wearing red lipstick! I definitely can understand your pain. Hope it's all better soon.
-Andi x

Miss Emmi said...

Brittany - Seriously? o_o That sounds awful! *crosses lash blast mascara off the 'to buy' list*

And thank you for the well-wishes everyone, I hope it goes away soon as well! I'm experimenting with outrageous hairstyles now to make up for it - a faux beehive and lashings of eyeliner are doing the trick!

esme and the lane way said...

Oh no, you poor thing! I hope they get better soon. Yay, go the dark eyes and big hair until your lips are all better!

Miss Kitty Boo said...

Sorry to hear about your lipstick dilema Miss Emmi :( I have just began following you after reading your comment in Andi B. Goode's post "Dressing Vintage in Adelaide" from Monday, October 26, 2009. I just wanted to say, your leggings comment seriously made my day! :)

Post a Comment