Saturday, February 13, 2010

Daily Outfit: Summer Flowers


Ahh, breezy cotton dresses. My lifesavers in this summer heat! I found this one at a vintage store that typically only stocks horrible polyester stuff from the 70s/80s, so it was a lucky find. Does anyone know the name of the flower used in the design? I bought these frangipani hairclips specifically to tie in with the dress, though I know they are not the same kind of flower. Still, close enough!






Outfit Details

Dress: Retrostar
Hairclips: Diva
Wedges: Easysteps











In other news, I've found a local swing dancing group - I'm going for my first lesson on Monday! I'm really quite nervous about it, as I've been struggling with social anxiety for the past few years and the classes involve rotating partners, so I'll be without my support for long periods. I used to be a fairly outgoing person, but about 3 years ago meeting new people became extremely difficult. I felt like I was being judged negatively, and that causes me to retreat into myself and clam up in social situations, while constantly looking for a way to escape the conversation and the attention. I'm hoping to work on that this year, as last semester it reached a point where it was negatively affecting my job and studies because I became afraid to even leave the house. I don't really want to bring up my personal problems on this blog, but I feel like I need to indicate why joining a class like this is a seriously big step for me. I'm crossing my fingers for it to go well - there's no obligation to sign up for a long period, so I'm viewing this coming Monday as a chance to dip my feet in the waters a little. Wish me luck - I'm hoping for the best.

11 comments:

Emma said...

I love the dress! what a great find! i'm not sure about the flowers as theyre quite stylised. At first I thought they were dafodils but i can see on closer inspection theyre not! i thought they may be Phalaenopsis Orchid but the leaves look to pointed so maybe theyre some other kind of orchid or possibly an iris?! sorry i couldnt be more help! x

Stefanie Valentine said...

A perfect summer outfit! I'm not too sure what the flowers are unfortunately, i do not any names for flowers apart from the really obvious ones!
Good luck with your dancing! I only started my lessons a month ago and i'm really enjoying it. It is a bit nerve-wracking the first time you go, but i'm sure people will be really friendly and welcome a lovely person like you! xx

gingin said...

I'm not an expert on flowers, but my mom grows orchids and the flowers on your dress look like Dendrobium orchids to me. It's a beautiful dress by the way!

I used to struggle with social anxiety in my teens and early twenties, and all I can really say is that the best remedy for it, is to get out of your comfort zone and try to go out and do things you're afraid of doing. At first it's really hard and you might feel like panicing, but once you get over that stage it'll get easier, it really will. So, don't hold back and just go for it! Have fun dancing!

Mrs Juzzie Green said...

Hi you have a hawaiian frock very simular to the one I bought last month in Hawaii. Your first piece of aloha wear! So cool, so cotton. I thought it might be Tiares but I think they are orchids too. Enjoy your new dancing adventures

Louise said...

You look lovely.

Stephanie said...

I had a similar problem and taking dance classes really helped me out. I'm sure it will have the same effect on you. So do you know what kind of swing you're doing?

Justice Pirate said...

that's quite cute!

Miss Meiow said...

I can completely empathise with you; I also find social situations very difficult, but it is something I am working on, because quite frankly it sucks! I too hope to start swing dancing this year but am not quite ready to take the first step (excuse the pun):D Good luck & I hope you find it helps

V x

esme and the lane way said...

Gorgeous dress!

Good luck with the swing class, I found most people at my class really nice. (If you do get some weirdos, ignore them, it's not you. There are one or two strange types in the Wednesday Fitzroy class!) And most people will feel shy, too :) Have fun! I can't wait to start swing dancing again.

Bellelass said...

You are so adorable, I'm glad I found your blog. You look just like you dropped in out of the 40's, without trying to hard. Like a stray atom bomb test ray zapped you accidentally in the middle of your day and landed you here in the 21st century.

Orchids?

Good for you, for taking your fears in hand and stepping out of your comfort zone. I was verrrry agoraphobic for a period of time. I moved to Australia right smack in the middle of it, and I can't even think of how horribly hard that move was. I gave myself time and slowly learned to venture out alone.

At first, I wouldn't go anywhere without my husband. Like, I wouldn't even ride in my parent's car when they were taking us to the site of our wedding. Baby steps. I think dressing vintage actually helped me. I felt more myself, dressing how I pleased- fabrics, colors, makeup, hair, everything. And also I felt that my appearance formed a sort of protective layer around me. Eventually my husband persuaded me to take a (short) bus trip to the middle of the city by myself. We did a few test runs, I plotted out some exact errands and then it happened. A lot of planning went into that bus trip. Now there's not much that fazes me, and its only a few years later.

Good for you.

Social interactions (one on one) still kind of freak me out but my rule has become that if my appearance and my manners are immaculate, and if I keep a clear conscience that my intentions are for the best, then other people can think what they would like.

Heh, sorry to post such a long one... Hope you don't mind. I just think it was lovely of you to share. We all struggle.

BaronessVonVintage said...

Hi, doll! I want to thank you for your supportive comments on my blog recently re: the whole Etsy nightmare. On the plus side, it looks like the seller has suddenly come out of the woodwork and claims to have shipped the dresses, so we shall see (this is a step up from the other day, that's for sure).

Anyway, I just love this whole look you've got going here. I'm a huge fan of vintage Hawaii, so this is just wonderful. I've got a very similar history regarding issues with "friends" leading me to isolate. Thankfully there is blogging, so I am able to get the perfect dose of sociality with likeminded people. Of course, at some point, I'm going to have to push out into the real world with a class or something (good on you for doing so). In the mean-time, I'm happy as can be, as I am able to "meet" wonderful people such as yourself!

xoxo.

Post a Comment