Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Daily Outfit: Souvenirs from Tokyo


I've been having some pretty swell luck at the op-shops recently! This is one of my favourite finds ever - look at that gorgeous print! You may have noticed, I am a sucker for anything with a Japanese theme. My dream is to find one of the souvenirs that American soldiers brought home from the pacific - this dress isn't one, but it's close enough for now! Chinese New Year happens to fall on Valentine's Day, I'm hoping The Boy and I can drop in on the festivities - I want to stock up on lacquered parasols and fans!

It's 100% cotton, which is just perfect for the disgustingly hot weather we've been having recently. I'm hoping for cooler weather by sunday; the dress I had planned on wearing is satin (and lord knows that will not mix well with 35 degree heat...)

The label of this dress is marked "SSW" - is anyone familiar with that acronym's meaning?






















I hope you are all having a good week! I have to think of some good picnic foods to cook before Sunday; any suggestions? Please keep in mind that I'm domestically challenged - anything from books with titles like "Kid's Kitchen" probably makes for a good start!

9 comments:

THE BIG MAMA INTROSPECTION said...

Nice and original dress plus summer in your Country. Me too !!! i want to wear a summer dress, we are all diyng in cold here.

Vivian V. Dimples said...

Such a wonderful print! I wish I had more summer dresses.

In reply to your comment: I get my fair share of stares and whispers when I stray out of our building into the more practical parts of campus but once I'm in the safe the waapa building everyone is either dresses to the 'T' (designers, stage managers, Oprah students) or wearing almost nothing at all (dancers, actors, musical theater students). It's a strange place.

Stefanie Valentine said...

Gorgeous dress with a fabulous print, i love it! As to the picnic food, i'm very unimaginative and only do things like sandwiches, sausage rolls, fruit, and scotch eggs! xx

Justice Pirate said...

that is quite lovely!!

Kristen said...

Lovely dress - it looks really nice on you! As far as picnic foods go, I usually do things like sandwiches, potato salad or deviled eggs. Let me know if you'd like a recipe.

And enjoy your picnic - some of your readers are languishing under 8 inches of snow right now! :)

Vireya said...

SSW would have meant something like "small small woman". These sizes were used in Australia until about 1960s or 1970s.

XSSW - Extra small small woman
SSW - small small woman
SW - small woman
W - woman

Larger than that there was OS (Over size?) XOS, XXOS and possibly XXXOS?

It is harder to match them to current sizes, as there are no standards to go by, but I think a W was about a 36" bust, about 92cm. The sizes went down by 2" - 5cm each time. So a SSW would be a 32" bust (about 81.5 cm)

Andi B. Goode said...

Hey, I keep forgetting to respond to a couple of comments you left - firstly, if you want to do a stocking review, don't feel like your an 'ideas thief'. You should totally do it! We'll have different opinions, anyway, and it'll actually be better. =D Also, if I remember, I can ask my instructors if they can suggest some swing classes in Melbourne for you.
-Andi x

Susan said...

Love the printed fabric. A beautiful dress!

BaronessVonVintage said...

ooooooh, I LOVE this dress!!!!! What a find!!!

Post a Comment