Friday, February 5, 2010

Daily Outfit: 40's Flair

I found this magnificent little dress in the opshop the other day -doesn't it has a very 40s feel to it? (Pardon the unmade bed; how embarrassing!)


I especially love the shoulder detailing. The pattern has everybody confused - I thought it was cotton, my boyfriend thinks wattle flowers, my sister sees cherries, and my dad said tiny insects! It's practically a wearable Rorschach test!








Outfit Details

Dress: Thrifted
Belt: Valleygirl
Shoes: Rivers
Stockings: Ebay
Gloves: Ebay
Lipstick: MAC Diva






(I also managed one of the nicest pincurl sets I've done in a while, but... as soon as I left the house it rained on me! Boo!)

I was headed out to Lincraft (they currently are having a 50% off fabric sale) but surprisingly, didn't buy much in the way of supplies. I have very specific ideas in my head about the clothes I want to make next, but there wasn't anything I felt I could use to create them. For all you crafty ladies (especially the Australian based ones), where do you buy your fabric? Any stores I should hit up in Melbourne, or ones that deliver here for a reasonable price? Any suggestions would be much appreciated; I am in desperate need of some mustard coloured wool!

9 comments:

Zombie Dimples said...

My goodness, you look divine! Your pin curls came out adorable.
Spotlight is pretty much the only fabric store I can get to anymore since they closed down the Hamecraft near me but I do hunt for second hand fabrics in op shops. I have found some really nice ones that was really suprised with.

THE BIG MAMA INTROSPECTION said...

Roscharchd test hi hi hi ohohoh ah ah ah !

Oh what a damage for the rain.

RecordCollector said...

Just stunning!!!

harbourmaster said...

Do you know I had no idea what 'roscharch' was until I saw 'Watchmen' last night? I am such a neeerrrrdddd haha!

Have you been to Tessuti? The store is beautiful, it's on Flinders Lane and really airy, heaps of designer end-of-rolls. Sydney Rd has a few good places if you're looking for cheap&cheerful, and G&J's Discount Fabric on Lygon St is excellent for stretch. Homecraft is my favourite but I don't think it exists here (I could be wrong?), but in Perth I always get great stuff there.

And I totally spent $50 that I don't even have at the Lincraft sale today, so tempting! I usually never buy patterns but I couldn't resist one of the Butterick 'Retro' ones at half price, even better than the Vintage Vogue this season!

harbourmaster said...

Oh and also, just re-reading, try Davisha in Richmond for wool? They're technically a wholesaler but just pull the 'student' card and they'll help you out ;) Really awesome selection and quite reasonably priced.

Andi B. Goode said...

Boo to rain! Your hair looks great and I love the dress.
-Andi x

Stephanie said...

The design itself is very 40's, but I think it was the earthy tones of the fabric that really make me think of the 1960's and the call back to nature. I like it though.

Stefanie Valentine said...

What a cute dress you have managed to find there, and i love how your hair turned out, perfect curls! x

Clairegeit said...

Clegs has two stores in Melbourne more on the pricey side but has beautiful fabrics and a great range of the wools, suitings and formal dress fabrics. Sydney road also has many small little fabric stores which are pick and miss sometimes but can be very cheap.

Post a Comment