Thursday, January 14, 2010

New Year's Sewing Resolution

Be professional! I want the clothes I make to be well put together and long lasting. A pinked seam and zigzag stitching isn't going to cut it anymore - however, I don't have an overlocker and even on sale they're $800 dollars! Thus, I'm going to start experimenting with bias binding, french seams and other methods to make my garments as beautiful on the inside as they are on the outside (I started making this dress last year so it doesn't count).


It's a modern pattern (for the life of me I can't remember which one... and I'm far too comfortable on the couch here to get up and check!) which wasn't really that great to work with, and the fit wasn't fantastic. The end result, however, is not too bad! I bought a vintage kit from the opshop which I intended to use to make a self-covered belt, but I'm pretty sure it's missing several pieces...

I also received a few packages in the mail today - my Christmas presents (finally!) and a lovely giveaway from Laura over at Sew Chic to kick start my resolution. It's the Myrtlewood design from her previous pattern line, Nostalgic. I'm looking forward to making this one up - doesn't it look perfect for winter?


For the seamstresses out there amongst my readers, any advice when it comes to those little finishing touches that can make an outfit more polished, lasting and complete?

6 comments:

Debi said...

I don't have an overlocker either and I've resolved to use more seam binding as well. I love the way it looks and I like having it in a slightly contrasting but complimenting color--so that the inside looks just as nice as the outside!

Oh, I have the Forties Fashion book too and I love it!

Stefanie Valentine said...

I wish i could sew! Mr V's mother is a great sewer (if that's the correct word to use!) and i keep meaning to take lessons, but i have so many other things i want to do too!
Your dress looks very cute, did it take you long to learn the basics of sewing? xx

Enken said...

Hmm... ok an overlocker makes things real easy, but it's definitely not necessary. I think that touches like nice buttonholes (bound or sewn), handsewn hems or finished with bias, topstitching, pretty pockets, lapped or invisible zips and decorative touches like little bows or ruching really make a difference.

What makes something look 'shoddy'? Crooked seams, dodgy zips and threads hanging out (which I am definitely guilty of!). Think of couture garments; they are finished and made by hand and sometimes have tiny imperfections which remind you of their handsewn origins. So perfection is not necessarily a good thing!

Maggi said...

I wish I could help you but alas, I have the machine but not the skills. lol Good luck honing your craft! Love the dress!

Little Rascal said...

I love that book, Forties Fashion, such a great resource.
There's a patchwork skirt in there that I want to make.

Badly Behaved Better Dressed said...

Hi! I was reading through your blog (which I'm quite enjoying) and I completely understand what you mean about losing the pinked and zigzagged edges. I'm new to sewing myself, but I just posted a tutorial on my (new) blog about how to do beautiful french seams inside your garment. If you're interested, you can check it out at www.badlybehavedbetterdressed.blogspot.com.
They turn out quite nice (If I do say so myself), and it doesn't cost a penny!

Post a Comment