Sunday, January 17, 2010

Cat-Eye Glasses: Part 2

After a rather lengthy debacle involving one pair going missing in transit, my glasses finally arrived! I'm so happy to see them in person - they fit and they're in amazing condition.


Although I can't afford to get them reglazed just yet (it is unbelievable how expensive that it here in Australia, I think we have some of the most overpriced opticals in the world) I'm wearing them around the house just to familiarize myself with the look, however, they are taking some getting used to. My issue is less about the cat-eye shape than the thickness of the frame. As you can see, my regular glasses have a very thin wire frame - I could almost tune them out when looking in the mirror. These new ones are consequently a bit of a shock to the system, and are much more 'in your face', I suppose.






















What do you think? I'm definitely not going to retire my old glasses - they suit me far too well! As for these new ones, I'm not sure if I'll shop around for a thinner, lighter frame and turn them into sunglasses or just go with the change... hurm.

P.S. Out of curiosity, does anyone know what style of frames were popular in the 30s/40s? I only ever really hear about the cat-eye shape, but I don't want to wear them with my 40s outfits.

P.P.S If I had the money, I'd be getting these as well - they would be incredibly handy when trying to get my eyeliner straight in the mornings! Aren't they fabulous?

14 comments:

Enken said...

ooh aah! I love them! I don't wear glasses, but have definitely toyed with the idea of clear glass because I love the look so much. I think once you get used to the thicker rims you will be just fine!

Andi B. Goode said...

I love the thicker rims. It's very Buddy Holly. hehe. I know circular glasses were one type of frame that was popular in the 40s, at least for sunglasses but not sure for reading glasses!

Rachel said...

I think they are outrageously fabulous. You look soooooooo chic and they suit you wonderfully. Am most jealous of glasses fashion - I don't wear glasses myself, and, like Enken, have toyed with the idea of some clear lens ones. You look fantastic.

Erika said...

The cat-eyes looks great on you! But as a fellow glasswearer, I know the problem: I really don't feel comfortable with thick frames. I'm also on the lookout for cat-eyes with thinner frames =) And reglazing isn't that expensive here in Sweden! But then, everything else about glasses is.
Love your blog!

BaronessVonVintage said...

Just found this other blog of yours! Miss Emmi, I want to thank you for voicing your perspective on Inglourious Basterds. Much valued and appreciated. I don't know if you've visited my blog since then but one blogger (who happens to be Jewish) posted a response to my own rant/response and, well, I hope if you have seen it all you aren't ruffled or anything....and if you haven't seen it all, you may want to, just in case you feel a desire to speak to the other post(s). Anyway, I really appreciate your visits and comments xoxo.

Darla: Retro Ways said...

I love the thicker vintage pair on you!


No need for the old ones the new ones look to good.

xo Darla

harbourmaster said...

I agree completely, ditch the old ones! The new ones suit you perfectly, I love the heavier frame. I've never been able to find an actual vintage pair that suit me, but got a pretty good modern cat's eye by Paul Taylor, who is a Sydney based eyewear designer.

Enken said...

Also, I left you a blog award at my blog!

Tilly said...

They look great on you! They're much more striking and bring out the colour in your eyes. Wear them with confidence!

PaperDoll said...

Oooh, the new glasses are great, and I think they suit you a lot!
I know that passing from an almost invisible frame to a heavier one is a bit of a shock: I bought new glasses with quite a thick frame (wine-red bakelite) when I was used to a pair with almost no frame at all (you know, one of these glasses where the lenses are connected to the legs only with tiny screws). It was quite of a big change, at the moment - my face changed a lot - but I got used to it quickly, and I'm sure you will, too! I kept my old glasses, and sometimes I wear them, but now that I'm used to the new ones, I look kind of dull with them on! :)

Maggi said...

I really really really love the new glasses!

THE BIG MAMA INTROSPECTION said...

Me too, i love the new ones, hope you will find a cheapest optician. Or, tell to you assurance that Big Mama has sitted on the old and you see absolutely nothing, stocked in darkness, with broken glasses !!!!! ;)

esme and the lane way said...

I love the glasses! I have been watching a similar pair on ebay for ages but the price of lenses here outs me off, too.

PaperDoll said...

Take a look on this video on vintage glasses when you have a minute: it's really funny, but, as the Youtube user says, "oddly informative", too!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RgAABJqrOcI&feature=channel

Post a Comment