Friday, December 11, 2009

Little Black Dresses

I would imagine that by now, most of you have heard about how Audrey Hepburn's personal wardrobe has recently gone up for auction. If not, Circa Vintage has a great article on the historic event.

It appears that certain stores are cashing in on the resurgence Audrey's name is currently experiencing in the media. (One of them being 'Forever New', who were selling the book 'What Would Audrey Do?' in store. Answer? Probably never wear half of the items they stock.) I was passing K-mart on my way to work today, and out of the corner of my eye noticed a familiar image - the iconic Breakfast at Tiffany's poster.


I went over to the stand which contained several rails of black dresses to take a closer look. The back of the tag states that these essential 'little black dresses' were inspired by the timeless elegance of Audrey Hepburn - however, in all honesty, I think the designers of this collection lost that same 'elegance' in their efforts to modernize the look. I know I took awful pictures, and I apologize, but I was late for work and didn't have time to capture each dress (not that they'd show up well anyway! Black on black and all.) The one I've taken a picture of is pretty cute, actually, but some of the others were absolute travesties.


Really, K-mart? Strapless, thigh high club dresses? Lamé shifts with bubble hems? Fringed FLAPPER dresses, for heaven's sakes - that's not even the right era! Given that Audrey was all about understated elegance, this all felt a little insulting. I was hoping for some dresses that were classically beautiful and refined, not dictated by passing trends. (I had a good chat about it all with a customer at work, actually. She told me I looked like Katherine Hepburn -my cheekbones are not that nice, must have been my hair- and we got to talking about the difference between those great Queens of Hollywood and the girls of today. I think it gave her a little bit of hope to see that we're not all out buying gladiator sandals and miniskirts!)

I'm still looking for my perfect little black dress. Finding something unaffected by seasonal trends is difficult, as many stores deem what I would consider 'classic' as 'boring'. I have hope though, that somewhere out there is the LBD for me!

8 comments:

Enken said...

That makes me shiver!! I could go on and on about the evils of disposable, derivative 'fashion'. That's not style, it's mindless consumerism.

As for finding your own LBD,is there a rule that says you can't have a few Little Black Dresses? ;)

THE BIG MAMA INTROSPECTION said...

Perfect black dress ??? Oh it's seams to be very short for a hepburnesque inspiration ? Kind of dress that you must ask someone else to cath something on the floor to don't show all your intimity ?!???!!!! Not for a big mama again !!! ah ah ah ha

Stefanie Valentine said...

Oh how awful, using Audrey to sell trashy clothing. "timeless elegance" yeah right!

I hope you manage to find your perfect LBD! x

Andi B. Goode said...

The one on the right looks more like a little girl's dress than a woman's dress.
I still don't have the perfect LBD, myself. I'm too attracted to colour, these days...I think it comes of wearing too much black in my late teens. ;]
-Andi x

Natarsha said...

I have 2 perfect 50s inspired LBDs from Review & you can pick up a bargain at the Haymarket outlet as I did - $270 reduced to $63.

It's a valiant quest however so good luck!!

Stefanie Valentine said...

I have an award for you over on my blog :) x

Miss Emmi said...

Enken: So true! A collection is always nice ;)

The Big Mama Introspection: I know! It made me sad to think that this could have been a chance to show girls the beauty of true elegance, but it was wasted...

Stefanie: Thank you! I think she'd be devastated to hear it...

Andi: You're kinda right about that one - It was the best of the bunch, although that isn't saying much.

Natarsha: I'll keep trying! Thanks you!

Pink Champagne said...

There's an award for you over at my blog! xoxo

Post a Comment