Tuesday, December 15, 2009

From the Jukebox - The Baseballs


Don't be fooled by the picture! The Baseballs are actually a current band from Germany, who, in a reversal of the norm, create doo-wop covers of modern songs. Their 2009 album, Strike, shows off their amazing skills in adapting songs that could be considered polar opposites of that 50s sound (think Pussycat Dolls and Beyonce!) into smooth, rock n' roll styles. The experience of listening to their songs is made even better if you know of the originals, so one can marvel at the changes made.

I simply must share a few of their videos with you all, so you can see how complete the transformation is (the addition of screaming fans in cat-eye glasses is just perfection)! First off is a cover of 'Umbrella' by Rhianna:




Not to mention they are all gorgeous! *swoons* I can definitely see myself in that crowd chasing them! Their other video is a cover of Katy Perry's 'Hot n Cold':



The reaction of passersby is priceless, no?

I highly recommend digging up Strike to listen to (and dance along to - you will not be able to help yourself!) The Baseballs have also got other covers floating around on Youtube that aren't on the album itself - you may even stumble upon a doo-wop rendition Lady Gaga's 'Pokerface' (it must be seen to be believed!)

13 comments:

Pink Champagne said...

Wow! This is amazing! I love it. And they are sooo cute too!

Cisa said...

That is awesome! After I wiped to drool off my chin, I called Hubby over to check it out and not only did he decide we must have this album but that we will also be adding it to our local swing dancing scene :) Thanks for the heads up! I'm sure I'll start the youtube fest tomorrow :)

Enken said...

I am entranced! I would love to hear them sing those songs in German as well!

THE BIG MAMA INTROSPECTION said...

I don't have the same enthousiasm for their music but it's true they are funny and cute at least. Nice boys don't play rock'n roll ;p yeah i know i'm sectarist !!! he he he he !!!

Paige Turner said...

Thank you for this! I shall be looking up their album on iTunes shortly!

Cheers!
~Paige

Maggi said...

Oh Miss Emmi, how can I thank you for this instant new obsession??? This is the best thing ever! I've got to hunt down their album now! I love how Jpop bands will rock up the old songs but I really love that there's a group doing the reverse.

Thanks for this!! lol

My new vintage blog: Circle 7-2099

Miss Emmi said...

Pink Champagne: Glad you like it!

Cisa: They'd be so great to dance to! Have fun!

Enken: I'm not sure if they have any songs in German... but I think that there isn't enough appreciation for the German language out there. Let me know if you find any?

Big Mama: They are just adorable, aren't they?

Paige: No worries, glad you liked it!

Maggi: Oooh, you'll have to link me to some of those jpop covers you're talking about! I am a huuuuge fan of Jrock and Visual Kei, though I haven't listened to many new releases because they started to sound rather samey. Nice to meet someone with similar interests!

Justice Pirate said...

I hate cover songs with a passion, but their sound is so nice and I want to hear them do original songs badly. do they have any???

THE BIG MAMA INTROSPECTION said...

Ah ah ah ah adorable, yes a real boysband ! May be little bros of Jack Baymore ??? ha ha ha i'm nasty ;p i hope if one day i got a daughter she will bring at home this kind of nerdy rockers ah ah ah ah. In fact, as you probably comprehend, i ve got a preference for phat rock'n roll and bad boys ;)
Sorry Emmi to be so nasty, you could be nasty against me when i will post something about Joaquin Phoenix ha ha ha ;)

Bye bye Antipodia pinup.
Olivia

Maggi said...

I'm back with Jpop covers links! lol

Shonen Knife's "Daydream Believer"

Shonen Knife's "Top of the World"

The 5,6,7,8's "I'm Blue"

Oh geez, there's a ton more and I'm drawing a total blank now! lol You've probably seen these before! If I can think of any more, I'll let you know! lol

Stefanie Valentine said...

Amazing! I definitely prefer their versions to the originals! I will be showing Mr V when he gets home from work :) x

Andi B. Goode said...

OMG This is amazing. I am squee-ing and LOL-ing and swooning all at the same time. Very confusing. I wouldn't mind standing under their umbrellas ;] (not entirely sure what that would actually mean...Haha)
They are like the Puppini Sisters but boys!!! Thanks so much for sharing this. I seem to have a bunch of German rockabilly kicking about my computer when I grabbed a whole heap of stuff from a friend but it's mainly just...well, it's hit and miss like all neo-Rockabilly can be, but this is truly amazing.
-Andi x

Kass said...

Oh my gosh! thank you for sharing <3
They are awesome!

Post a Comment