Monday, November 2, 2009

For your eyes only~

You may have noticed from my outfit posts so far that I wear glasses - and I think it's about time I upgraded them to fit in with the rest of my vintage style!

I have been looking into getting a pair of cat eye frames, but the reactions from family and friends have been mixed. The boy was easily convinced after seeing The Spirit (although I do hope he's not expecting me to turn into a Scarlett Johanson-esque sexpot), and those are the kind of frames I'm interested in: subtle, not too over the top. Or, something like Marshall's friend Petula from United States of Tara:


However, my parents - who are normally, if not supportive of my style, at least benignly tolerant - are staunchly against them. My mother is adamant that cat eye glasses were something that "should have died with the 50s", and admittedly here in Australia they tend to conjure up images of Dame Edna and librarians rather than fifties-era glamourpusses. Now, while I'm not going to be kicked out of home or anything if I do buy a pair, their comments have put doubt in my mind that I could pull the look off...

I have already ordered this pair off ebay, but if they don't suit I suppose I'll just get them turned into prescription sunglasses or something. I am just a little worried I will look ridiculous with them on.


I tried on a few pairs in a vintage store, and took a photo for your consideration (sorry for the blurriness - it's a from a cameraphone):

Your thoughts?

12 comments:

reilly said...

I think they'll look great, judging from the pair you tried on! They don't look overly bombshell at all - very smart and subtle.

THE BIG MAMA INTROSPECTION said...

You look great, so gorgeous. The shape is good but if i was you, i will choose something more extravagant because your face is appropriated to wear vintage glasses. I think about something like black and clear lucite with carved flowers or lines. Hum... Glasses are like shoes ! ; ) too many choice.

Miss Emmi said...

Reilly: Thank you for your thoughts! I get the feeling that I'll have to work up some confidence to step out like that, but I think I could definitely get used to the look. Part of the problem is I've had very thin wire frames for so long, anything with a thick outline automatically seems too 'heavy' for my face. But we shall see how I go!

Big Mama: Thank you - perhaps once I've grown accustomed to a more subtle pair I'll branch out (I have been drooling over some beautiful frames like what you described on Etsy). And yes, glasses are like shoes - terribly addictive! :)

Stefanie Valentine said...

You definitely suit cat eye frames, they look lovely on you! I too wear glasses and i'm trying to look for some cat eye frames as well. i have quite round cheeks though so it's a bit difficult so find some that suit me.
You should definitely go for them!

Andi B. Goode said...

Cat-eye frames are the best things in the entire world. Admittedly they do not suit everyone but I think those look fab on you.
-Andi x

Little Miss B said...

you look great in them and should go for it, I have 3 pairs now and love them all.

Toldotha said...

Sorry to not agree but I think that the glasses you tried may have been the wrong color. Also, they make your eyes look a bit too closer together. I thought that this style usually made the eyes look farther apart. I do think that the style of the frame that you bought on eBay may have more potential. Good luck.

Jitterbugdoll said...

I think cat eye glasses would look smashing on you! I envy those who can pull them off; most don't work with my face shape (I look very school-marmish, I'm afraid.)

Jessica Cangiano said...

Hi my fellow glasses wearing gal, I really like the pair you ordered off of eBay. That hue looks like it will go well with just about any outfit (always key if you only have a pair or two of glasses). Best of luck with your hunt, I hope you find the perfect vintage/vintage looking pair.

Wishing you a marvelous weekend!
♥ Jessica

Miss Emmi said...

Thanks everyone, I'll make sure to post a photo of the frames when they arrive! I'm so nervous!

Toldotha: Thanks for your honest opinion, it's much appreciated :)

Pretty Little Pictures said...

I wear glasses too, but haven't quite made the step to cat eyes - you look gorgeous though, I'm feeling inspired...

TheMoomKitty said...

You have the perfect face and style for cat-eye glasses. Go with it!

Post a Comment