Sunday, November 29, 2009

Aloha!


Finally, I feel like I'm doing something productive with my holidays! I put together this dress today using view B of Butterick 6582, a reprint of a pattern from the 60s. I ended up shortening it substantially (mostly due to my failure to read cutting layouts properly) but I think it still manages to keep the feel of the original - just kinder in hot weather!

I'm hoping to wear this out for Mai Tais with friends after we find out our exam results - whether it is a celebration or drowning of sorrows is yet to be seen! *crosses fingers* We're planning to hit this place called the Tiki Bar - I am very intrigued by this "Zombie" drink and the 2 per night limit they have for it!




This is probably the most complicated pattern I've made to date - and that's not saying much! The facings made me cry, and I had to put darts in to fix the gaping back (note to self: start making muslins! Or learn to alter patterns without improvisation in the final stage.) That said, it has the smoothest zip I've inserted to date, so I guess practice does make slightly better!


I'm rather tempted to go back to Spotlight and make this dress (or perhaps another, simpler pattern that doesn't make me cry) in a few other island and surf themed fabrics that they had there (or perhaps even a shirt for The Boy - after all, he'll need something to wear to the Tiki Bar with me!) However, next up I'm attempting View C (the full skirted version) of this pattern in a gorgeous green voile. Stay tuned!

8 comments:

Justice Pirate said...

super cute. keep it up.

Dad.. said...

WOWEE!! You're all set for any kind of Tiki function! Very nice!

Ruby Roulette said...

That is a gorgeous dress, I'm quite envious of the great fabric pattern!

Laura C-dot said...

Hi there Miss Emmi, thanks for stopping by my blog :)

I am so jealous of ladies who sew (pardon the pun ;) I can make small things and do repairs, but dressmaking is a whole new story. You are one talented lady - That dress is fabulous!

I do hope you enjoy the Tiki Bar, and that it is a celebration for all concerned. :)

Nancy said...

you are so lucky to find all these wonderful retro patterns and items. real treasures and wonderful blog!

Stefanie Valentine said...

Hi Miss Emmi, i have an award for you over on my blog :)

Miss Emmi said...

Thanks everybody!

Laura C-dot: I can't sew well, but it is a work in progress! It's a rewarding hobby though - maybe you'll give it a try someday?

Stefanie Valentine: Oh gosh, thanks so much!

PaperDoll said...

I'm sooo envious! I am barely able to do hems or to baste easy patterns... Even the "Sewing for dummies" guide seems not to be enough "dummy-proof" for me! :)
I think that dress is just amazing!

PS: I love your glasses!

Post a Comment