Sunday, November 29, 2009
Finally, I feel like I'm doing something productive with my holidays! I put together this dress today using view B of Butterick 6582, a reprint of a pattern from the 60s. I ended up shortening it substantially (mostly due to my failure to read cutting layouts properly) but I think it still manages to keep the feel of the original - just kinder in hot weather!
I'm hoping to wear this out for Mai Tais with friends after we find out our exam results - whether it is a celebration or drowning of sorrows is yet to be seen! *crosses fingers* We're planning to hit this place called the Tiki Bar - I am very intrigued by this "Zombie" drink and the 2 per night limit they have for it!
This is probably the most complicated pattern I've made to date - and that's not saying much! The facings made me cry, and I had to put darts in to fix the gaping back (note to self: start making muslins! Or learn to alter patterns without improvisation in the final stage.) That said, it has the smoothest zip I've inserted to date, so I guess practice does make slightly better!
I'm rather tempted to go back to Spotlight and make this dress (or perhaps another, simpler pattern that doesn't make me cry) in a few other island and surf themed fabrics that they had there (or perhaps even a shirt for The Boy - after all, he'll need something to wear to the Tiki Bar with me!) However, next up I'm attempting View C (the full skirted version) of this pattern in a gorgeous green voile. Stay tuned!