Saturday, October 31, 2009

To make do (but not mend)

I enjoy not only dressing in vintage fashion, but taking up certain elements of the vintage lifestyle. I love the thrill of the hunt and proudly parading my thrifted trophies. I love seeing vintage patterns come to life in front of me due to my own hard efforts. I can make do with what I've got, and enjoy the challenge of experimenting with different clothing co-ordinates and accessories in order to make an entirely new outfit.

But I hate mending.

I have two piles of projects in my room: the exciting, glittering pile of new fabrics and patterns I've yet to try, constantly emitting the siren song of procrastination and dragging me away from my study - "Bring me to life! Make me beautiful!" - and my mending pile, which has sat untouched and unmended for several months now. Perhaps I neglect it because there's no excitement or mystery involved, after all, I already know what the garment will look like. Or simply because it requires the most time and effort for the least reward (hello, hand stitching). However, I can't sew during my exam period (it is a little difficult to hear lecture recordings over the roar of the sewing machine) so I have restricted myself to cutting out fabric, and mending. Le sigh.

On a side note, 90% of the contents of my mending pile are from Route 66 (to my international friends, a certain rockabilly clothing store in Australia). I'm not sure if you have a business philosophy, Route 66, but I'm going to hazard a guess that if you do, it's "Treat 'em mean and keep 'em keen". The number of times I have been let down by your store, due to both shoddy workmanship (fraying pockets and hems - seriously, learn to finish seams - and trim that ends up a flufftastic mess after only one wear - warning: do not buy their sailor jackets! Both my friend and I had this problem from the same item, and I ended up having to unpick all the trim from the wrists to make it wearable again) and incompetent staff (such as taking 20 minutes to add up my layby and still overcharging me, or losing records of my payments and again overcharging me - lucky I keep my receipts!) but I keep going back because your designs are so gosh-darned cute. I've had a preview of your new season range and already I know I'm lost again.

Look! Playsuits! Be still, my beating heart!

Oh, Route 66... I wish I knew how to quit you.

4 comments:

Jolene said...

I have a mending "box" which has been unopened since I last threw something in about 6 months ago.
Keep writing...

Miss Emmi said...

Thanks Jolene! More like "mending black holes", aren't they? :D

harbourmaster said...

Ohh, that sucks you've had bad luck with your Route66 clothes...I honestly live in the stuff and think it wears brilliantly! And I've always found the staff to be incredibly helpful, maybe it depends which store you go to?

Miss Emmi said...

Hi Harbourmaster! I go to the shop in the CBD of Melbourne - the staff are nice, I agree, but it's frustrating to have them make mistakes that could have cost me money several times, if I wasn't so careful with my receipts :/ I've had a lot of trouble with the pockets on their capri pants (I've owned two pairs and had to fix up seams on both within several wears - and it's not like I'm bursting out of them either) and the trim/embroidery on their designs. I looooove their designs but I've had so many bad experiences that I'm starting to think it's not worth the money...

Post a Comment