Monday, October 26, 2009

Slim Skirt


Another procrastination-induced project completed! (You will understand why I am such a busy bee lately, when the alternative is revising lectures about the spinothalamic tracts D: )

This skirt was made from a pattern I bought on etsy a few weeks ago, and some impulse-bought clearance fabric (I think it was suiting, but I can't quite recall). I had enough material left over to make the cute little jacket to match, but I haven't posted up pictures of that as I am yet to finish the lining and choose button colours (any suggestions? I'm rather stuck for ideas here!)

It's not quite as form-fitting as I had hoped it would be, but otherwise I'm pretty happy with the end result (though it is yet more evidence that I need to practice zips and hems!) I'm now on the hunt for a something more akin to a wiggle skirt pattern, but it's so hard to tell what the fit will be like from looking at the drawings on the envelopes :/

(Also seen in the pictures are one of my favourite pairs of shoes - I got them from a friend, who got them for her birthday, but they were several sizes too small for her - fortunately for me! I love sensible, thick heels of a moderate height, with a fully enclosed toe, but they are so difficult to find nowadays! Curse you, peep-toe shoes - I told myself the trend would pass, and I'd be able to find cute shoes in no time - but here we are two years later and it is still impossible to find something that I can wear stockings under. *sighs*)

9 comments:

Trudy said...

You look absolutely gorgeous in this skirt and the pants that you posted on Sew Retro. Great job.

lsaspacey said...

To make a pencil skirt you should just use the same pattern and mark a place in at the hem of the skirt about 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch in at each side and use a ruler to draw a line from those points to the widest point of the skirt. That should do it.

Yes, those shoes are fantastic, do you know the company name? Thanks.

reilly said...

Really nice skirt! I think brown or turtle shell buttons would work great with the jacket, if you're going for something neutral!

Miss Emmi said...

Trudy: Thank you so much!

Isaspacey: Thanks for the tip, I'll give that a shot! I have a thicker waist for my overall body size so I find that when I buy patterns based on my waist size, they end up loose in the hips. I'll definitely try that tip! Unfortunately I don't know the make of the shoes, when I received them they were out of the box. Sorry!

Reilly: I'll do my best to find some tortiseshell buttons, I think. I'm trying to find new glasses frames in tone as well, so they'll match, haha!

Andi B. Goode said...

I love the skirt. It looks great.
-Andi x

St├ęphanie said...

Fabulous !
http://mimietnini.canalblog.com/

esme and the lane way said...

The skirt looks great! I love the shoes too. And I agree; so hard to find good shoes! :)

Stefanie Valentine said...

The skirt looks really good on you, and the blouse is so cute too. I wish i could sew more than the simplest stitch which is no good for anything!

Mel said...

I love your skirt! It turned out amazing!

Post a Comment