Friday, October 23, 2009

Pants!


My blog looks so naked, oh dear - I guess it it time to get the ball rolling! Forgive my newness at it all!
I am a terrible pattern fiend (90% of the items in my wardrobe have some kind of design splashed all over them) and it has become terribly hard to match things into a coherent outfit (my sister, however, is one of the lucky sort who is able to do 'street fashion' with ease - she quite literally pulls items out at random from her wardrobe and it still looks smashing on her! Jealous!)
I've been longing for a pair of simple pants that I can work with a lot of these colourful shirts of mine; however, I don't really 'do' jeans, and was unable to find anything nice or affordable in shops. Therefore I finally decided to take matters into my own hands, and chose my first sewing project of the summer: a pair of high waisted, wide leg pants. The pattern I ended up choosing was Butterick B5250, in view A (only without the buttons - I may add some later, though, tell me your thoughts!)

The project did not go as smoothly as I would have liked - I have only ever sewn costumes for single day events before now, and as such never needed to worry about pesky things like... reading the pattern. Finishing seams. Proper (ie not rolled) hems. Durability. And so on. (We are headed for disaster already!) I ended up butchering my fabric by not reading the instructions properly and hacking off the little extending piece meant to cover the fly (panic!). I didn't have enough fabric to cut the pant leg again, so decided to whack an invisible zip in the back instead and hope for the best.
Turns out that was not such a great idea either, as I do not have an invisible zip foot! One side of the waistline ended up sitting absurdly higher than the other, and despite reassurances from my father that it was "not really that bad" (lying, no doubt, from fear of aggravating my feminine neuroticisms), it ate away at me until I unpicked and redid the offending area.

One the whole, though, I am pretty happy with these! They fit like a dream and are very very comfortable - I am definitely whipping up a pair in black for work, and possibly some other colours (I saw a pair of high waisted pants in pastel pink and as much as I hate to admit it, the idea intrigues me...)

And so, without further ado - Pants!


(Sorry about the glare) Click to embiggen!

4 comments:

HUzzah! Vintage said...

wow wow wow! i never thought I'd say this, but, "I like those high-waisted pants!"

Miss Emmi said...

HUzzah! Vintage: Thanks so much :D

Mel said...

How lovely! I have a terrible time fitting pants when it comes to sewing them :(

Anastasia said...

I love them!

Post a Comment